Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Continuum 6.1 - 2.3.4

This is my review of the rom Continuum 6.1 created by Team Continuum.  It's a customized rom that runs on a Samsung Galaxy S using the android OS 2.3.4.  It also utilized the Talon kernel (ver. 0.3.1) from TalonDEV - XDA Developers.

Now this is a forewarning,  I don't have nearly the technical skills to go really in depth into this rom solely because I don't have the experience in coding such things (I'm teaching myself Java as I write this) so forgive me if I'm not too technical.  As my knowledge improves so will my jargon and descriptions.  Go here if you want a more in depth specs XDA-Developers - Continuum 6.1

To get this review started, after you're done flashing you are greeted with the AT&T World Phone splash screen then the Talon Logo.  Next is a fun boot animation that starts with a star field and merges into the word CONTINUUM...pretty cool!  The phone then loads the rom and media scanner activates....


This is by far one of the more stable roms I've had so far.  I was using Cognition 4.4.3 for awhile then switch to Firefly 3.0 (my fav until Continuum).  Coming from Firefly, this one is almost exactly like it in that it's very smooth although there are some lagginess but more on this later.  All the apps I've run have loaded fast and super smooth.  I like the launcher with this rom because of the transitions between the home screens, app list and the actual app.  They all seem to go to the background.  If I'm not mistaken, it uses the Touchwiz 3.0 instead of Touchwiz 4.0.  I wish I could play with the new interface but if it is 3.0 and it works.  Speaking of the launcher if you hold down on the app list button, 5 mini home screens appear with what's stored in them...pretty cool!

Over all battery is good, after a day of use, I'm normally down to 40-30% life (this is with texting, surfing on the net, using apps like intune and watching a few videos...,etc).  I haven't had to recycle the battery yet but I hear it's a good idea to do that when flashing new roms.

After a few months of using this rom, it appears to have some bugs in it.  I would have to restart the phone because it was just too slow at loading apps and widgets.  When it was a fresh reboot, the rom ran smooth and fast but having to reboot so much just killed this rom for me.  Perhaps it was something to do with my own setup and installation process.  I look forward to the next version to see if any of the bugs still persist.

No comments:

Post a Comment